Domestic Violence Resources
You Need To Know:

Pursuant to RSA 173-B:10, if you are the victim of domestic violence and you believe that law enforcement protection is needed for your physical safety, you have the right to request that a police officer assist in providing for your safety, including asking for an emergency telephonic order for protection. You may also request that the officer assist you in obtaining from your premises and curtilage, toiletries, medication, clothing, business equipment, and other items as determined by the court, and in locating and taking you to a safe place including, but not limited to, a designated meeting place to be used as a crisis center, a family member's or friends residence, or a similar place of safety. If you are in need of medical treatment, you have a right to request that the officer assist you in obtaining an ambulance. You may request a copy of the report filed by the peace officer, at no cost, from the law enforcement agency.

Pursuant to RSA 173-b:11, you also have the right to appear before the district or superior courts to apply for a protective order or to go to your local police department to sign a criminal complaint against your abuser.
Safety During an Explosive Incident
A. If you an argument seems unavoidable, try to have it in a room or area that has access to an exit and not in the bathroom, kitchen, or anywhere near weapons.

B. Practice how to get out of you home safely. Identify which doors, windows, elevator, or stairs would work best.

C. Have a packed bag ready and keep it in a secret but accessible place in order to leave quickly.

D. Identify a neighbor you can tell about the violence and ask that they call the police if they hear a disturbance coming from your home.

E. Devise a code word to use with your children, family, friends, and neighbors when you need the police.

F. Decide and plan for where you will go if you have to leave home (even if you don't think you will need or choose to).

G. If the situation os very dangerous, use your own instincts and judgements to keep yourself safe. (You have the ability to obtain a restraining order at your local court during business hours and through local police during nights and weekends.)
Legal Services
Henniker Police Department 428-3213
Henniker District Court 428-3214
Merrimack County Superior Court 225-5501
Merrimack Cty. Attorney's Office 228-0529
NH Legal Assistance 1-800-562-3174
NH Legal Advice Referral Center (LARC) 1-800-639-5290
NH Bar Association 224-6942
Legal Help Line !-800-852-3388
Safety Info